Via Endocrine Today:
New guidelines from the Endocrine Society call for close and continued collaboration between endocrinologists and mental health professionals for the treatment of transsexual people.
Long-term Care for Transsexual People: Recommendations from the Endocrine Society
- Regular clinical and laboratory monitoring every three months during the first year then once or twice yearly.
- Monitor prolactin levels in male-to-female transsexual people treated with estrogens.
- Evaluate all transsexual people for cardiovascular risk factors.
- Obtain BMD measurements if risk factors for osteoporosis exist, particularly in those who stop hormone therapy after gonadectomy.
- Follow breast screening guidelines for biological women in male-to-female transsexual people with no known increased risk for breast cancer.
- Follow screening guidelines for prostatic disease and prostate cancer for biological men in male-to-female transsexual people treated with estrogens.
- Evaluate the risks and benefits of including total hysterectomy and oophorectomy for female-to-male transsexual people as part of sex reassignment surgery.