From the Greeley Tribune:
Gruesome photos of Angie Zapata’s beaten body laying on her apartment floor were displayed during this morning’s session of the murder trial of Allen Andrade today as prosecutors laid out the crime scene for a Weld District Court jury.
Greeley police officer Clay Buckingham spent the morning on the stand describing evidence taken from the crime scene as well as from Zapata’s sister’s PT Cruiser, in which Andrade was arrested on July 30.
Attorneys displayed evidence, including suspected fire extinguisher in court […]
The suspected fire extinguisher was found Sept. 9 in a median on U.s. 34 near the Greeley Mall.
ETA, Friday afternoon:
The first few times, it almost seemed like the public defenders were misspeaking.
But then, those watching the murder trial of Allen Andrade started muttering under their breaths. Witnesses on the stand continued to correct the attorneys questioning them.
Family members and friends echoed repeatedly, “my sister,” “Angie,” one by one on the stand Friday as public defenders Annette Kundelius and Brad Martin questioned them about “Justin.”
The purpose of this hateful misgendering of Angie Zapata is an attempt to pave the way for the trans panic defense; by the use of this tactic, the public defenders seek to imply that Ms Zapata was deceitful and as a result Mr Andrade’s violent reaction was somehow justified.
[Angie’s eldest sister, Monica Murguia], who Zapata lived with three months prior to moving to her own apartment, offered a different idea when it came to the deception theory. She said Zapata told everyone she met that she was transgender.
“Angie did tell everyone who she was,” Murguia said.
Maricella Meza, Zapata’s friend of five months, agreed: “She told me right away, about a month after I knew her.”
Let us hope the jury are able to see through the dirty tricks campaign of Mr Andrade’s attorneys.
The murder trial of Allen Andrade will continue at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, April 20, and is expected to last until Friday.
Previous related posts on this blog:
- Angie Zapata murder trial – has the trans panic defence been undermined? (April 17, 2009)
- Angie Zapata murder trial – jury selection (April 16, 2009)
- End Hate (Light a candle for Angie) (April 10, 2009)
- Take action: demand that Colorado Radio host Trevor Carey disavow remarks condoning violence against transgender people (March 19, 2009)
- Angie Zapata case: further pre-trial update (March 12, 2009)
- Judge to rule on confession in Angie Zapata killing (March 7, 2009)
- Remembering Angie Zapata (February 17, 2009)
- Angie Zapata murder trial: accused faces habitual offender tag (January 1, 2009)
- Angie Zapata murder trial update (October 29, 2008)
- Angie Zapata trial – preliminary hearing (September 19, 2008)
- Angie Zapata murder – court date set (August 28, 2008)
- Nearly human? (August 15, 2008)
- Angie Zapata update (August 7, 2008)
- Linkage roundup (August 7, 2008)
- Don’t panic (July 31, 2008)