Received this message from the Remembering Angie Zapata Facebook group (direct link to full message text
SAVE THE DATES: March 18th & April 7th
Colorado Anti-Violence Program Announces
Discussion, Meditation & Dinner to Prepare for Upcoming Murder Trial
Trial dates have been set for the murder of Angie Zapata. The eight day trial begins on April 14, 2008 and takes place in Courtroom 11 of the Weld County Courts at 901 9th Ave in Greeley. We would like to provide as much community support to her family and friends as possible by packing the courthouse during those days. If you are interested in coordinating rides to Greeley from the Denver-Metro area, please contact Kelly Costello at 303-839-5204 or email@example.com.
CAVP staff feels it is important for all of us involved in the trial to do so from an intentional and loving space. We recognize that we are all emotionally impacted when people target the LGBTQ community with violence. These incidents often lead us to feel a heightened sense of fear and vulnerability. We may feel anger and hatred towards those responsible for such violence.
In an effort to support our community members in maintaining a positive and healthy emotional and mental space around the trial of Allen Ray Andrade, CAVP will be hosting two evenings of discussion, meditation and dinner. Discussion will be facilitated by CAVP staff and meditation by Marti Engelmann.
We encourage you to participate in BOTH sessions if:
– You are even slightly considering attending any trial dates
– You would like to find other ways to support people going to the trial
– You have any interest in participating in creating this type of space regardless of your
involvement with this case
March 18th from 6-8:30 pm and April 7th from 6-8:30 pm
Discussion and meditation 6:00- 7:30. Dinner provided afterwards.
RSVP to Crystal Middlestadt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-839-5204.
(Cross-posted at Questioning Transphobia)
Previous related posts on this blog:
- Angie Zapata murder trial: accused faces habitual offender tag (January 1, 2009)
- Angie Zapata murder trial update (October 29, 2008)
- Angie Zapata trial – preliminary hearing (September 19, 2008)
- Angie Zapata murder – court date set (August 28, 2008)
- Nearly human? (August 15, 2008)
- Angie Zapata update (August 7, 2008)
- Linkage roundup (August 7, 2008)
- Don’t panic (July 31, 2008)